the 12th. General Election 2008

It was a great pleasure to get involved with the running of the 12th. General Election last Saturday, but the preparation was way, way before that. A few seminars were held a month beforehand, making sure that there would be sufficient number of staff and that the staff would get to know one another. A few days before the election day, we would have to make sure that the chosen venue has been ready, all the stuff needed are gathered and we have the correct ballot papers in sufficient number.
My day at the electoral centre in M*rlimau started at as early as 6.00am. I asked my sister to work together. We had to take a policeman in our car to ensure the safety of ballot papers. We set everything up with 3 other staff and was ready at 8.00am sharp.
My station was for middle age individuals. People came in and out all day through. We had our lunch and tea when there were not many people around. The policeman were always guarding outside and taking notice of the progress. We closed at 5.00pm. Counting of ballot papers started immediately with the presence of parties' agents. When everybody was satisfied, I had to fill in quite a number of forms. The ballot papers were tied in tens and put together with the forms into an envelope.
It was already about 7pm when we got back to the electoral centre in M*rlimau. People were swarming the counters to submit their ballot papers so that they all can go home as early as possible. I almost got into an argument with an *old lady*. She had a few forms wrongly filled and went out the line to correct mistakes and suddenly appear in front of me to claim her turn. I pretended that I didn't hear her. Whatever! Everybody wanted to go home first.
So my job ended at about 8.00pm. Me and my sister went out for dinner before we headed home.
Expecting some enlightening changes from this election. I did my part!