Hail to a TianWang ShaShou

Jeff Zhang Xinzhe 张信哲 has released a new compilation album. My other 2 favourites, There’s A Place (You Ge Difang) and Betrayal (背叛) however, are not included in the CD. In fact, I am still looking for the song You Ge Difang, featured in a TV soap Jing-Gang Aiqing . I don’t remember the English title, but the story is about a Hong Kong advertisement female director in love with a Mainland China male athlete. My friends all adore the leading man. Now, back to Jeff. I think he was born a Hong Kong citizen, but I have always heard him sings in Mandarin. There are however some songs in the CD featuring him singing in Cantonese. He sounds very sweet, but he just doesn’t sound right singing in English. His all-English album Colours Of The Night are filled with evergreen English songs, such as my favourite Stars, Pray, Colours of the Night, and Missing. The last new song I heard from him was From The Start Until Now (从开始到现在), a cover of the Korean song in the ever-popular Korean TV soap Winter Sonata. I first knew Jeff when I was 16. That was the year of the re-birth of his career, when he moved to a new record label EMI. His popular song at that time was Don’t Tell Him (不要對他說). My favourite singers at that time came from the company Rock Records (Gunshi). Some times after faithfully buying the label’s releases did I come to realize that Jeff was indeed one of the singers under the management of Rock once. I have some of his songs when he joined Rock in a few compilation albums released by Rock, and my favourite is Have Been In Love (曾經愛過). He then joined Sony Music a few years ago. I have been following his career until some times ago when I stopped buying Chinese entertainment magazines. Anyway, magazines nowadays would rather publish news on new faces. In that few years time, he has released touching melodies to Faith (信仰), Want To Love You So Much (太想爱你), Return (回来), Intuition (Zhijue), and an album which I think very satisfying titled Generosity (宽容) featuring songs like Generosity, Forget Love (忘情忘愛), Don’t Tell Him, and Too Much (過火). What about his latest effort? I like more songs in this album The Next Eternity (下一個永遠) than any one he has released before. His brand of music is still the same, but it is given a new taste, and may be direction. I mean, he still sings ballads, but he never sounded this excellent. Do you remember the time when Whitney Houston made a comeback with It’s Not Right But It’s OK? I’d give Jeff the same applause.
My favourite song
Betrayal (背叛). Melodious song of Jeff's own with excellent arrangement and top-notch vocals.


愛如潮水 (Love is Like the Tide) ~ everybody's absolute favourite. Golden!