Excerpt: Letter to a Friend

Dear H.E
Hope you are in the pink of health.
(Bla... bla... bla...)
(Bla... bla... bla...)
My new work is blessed with a place totally for myself. My office is of a master’s bedroom size with its own toilet, air conditioner, computer, and refrigerator. My boss seldom comes here. I am alone if I have so much work to do, and it’d be some times before and after the Execs meeting. If I have nothing to do, I’d socialize outside the office. There’s a big café and a gift shop outside. I know a few people working there and they have been nice. I’d lock my office every 1pm and take a nap for an hour. Sometimes I go back at 4pm or at 6pm. Actually, I am not contented with the Execs’ last-minute attitude. This reminds me so much of a Malay proverb ‘seperti ketam mengajar anaknya berjalan lurus, tetapi ia pun berjalan senget’. Most teachers and lecturers, in a way, in fact think like a student. They are always late for meetings (dare to remind their students to come early), they hate formal gatherings such as a meeting and co-curricular activities (but force their students to come for co-curricular activities), and they always ask somebody else to do what they should’ve done (and insist that students should do their work on their own). In the meeting 2 days ago, they recognized these problems and they do think that they are less respected because of those problems. Now they are looking for a few representatives to the convocation ceremony. It’s going to be on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning. Like the students, they too are reluctant to attent functions on the weekends. Like the students, they prefer staying at home or go shopping. Well, that’s not the case. I actually pity the President because he always has to do everything. He even has a bureau under his instruction in this association.He is too a Deputy Director of another institution in the university. As for the convocation ceremony, he volunteered to attend the morning sessions on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday. So far, I do admire his will.
(Bla... bla... bla...)
(Bla... bla... bla...)
I shall come home. See you soon then. Please take care.