The Diary of a Promoter

I have been working non-stop for 10 consecutive days since the last two Sundays as a promoter at a record store. Sometimes I work for 12 hours, sometimes for 9 hours. Only on the third day did I realize the work shifts, so now I check the schedule each time before I leave the store after work. Today is my day off and it’s a good time to update the blogspot (and play KoC! In fact I just upgraded the spy level and the siege technology.)
A promoter’s job description is basically to serve the customers better. I must follow the customers just in case they have anything particular to ask or look for. Consequently, the promoters get some commission from the customers’ total purchase at the end of the day. I started working on Sunday, one of the busiest days. There were so many people coming in and out of the store. Many people is a good sign, but we must also be aware of thieves. Lost items are covered from the promoters' commission. A promoter usually gets a total sale of RM900 on Saturdays and Sundays. On a not-so-busy day, we could get at least RM300. I once got a total sale of RM700 on one weekday. Only on that day did I notice that the commission we get is only 1%. Seems like it doesn’t worth all the hard work and persuasion! Even our break is only for 45 minutes.
Guess what? I met an artist, but he said not to tell anybody about it. Well, that’s all I could tell you! He bought so many cassettes and CDs, all of Indonesian artists. Thinking back about it, it seems so real how ordinary an artist could be when they are not under the limelight and in front of the cameras. That singer I met looks just like your usual nine to five worker. I am going to take a closer look to album sleeve he showed to have his band’s photo one of these days.
I don’t just get free music first hand, but also free posters first and second hand! The store still has loads of posters to be thrown away, so we could take any posters that we like.
The supervisor is on maternity leave. Meet the acting supervisor, the younger sister to the supervisor. She works at other branch of the store but close enough to come supervise us. I don’t know what her problem is for she likes to pick on me each time. She always points out at my ‘mistakes’, but she doesn’t realize that she also doesn’t know how to properly get her jobs done. She once made the cash register RM10 short, but the cashier had to return the money! They actually hate each other, and I mean everybody at the store. Just how could they fake it? I just heard one of the promoters expressed her dislike towards me. She thought my attire is of old women and I could never look beautiful in anything. I realize I am no beauty queen, but I don’t want to look cheap in all those so-called youngstres apparel. I thought I’d just avoid her, but then I thought why would I want to avoid her? I want her to see the right side of me because I am never a hostile personality.
I depend so much on the bus service, and because of that, I have been late to work twice already. The first time, I was almost an hour late and the acting supervisor nagged all day. I was late a few minutes the second time but she turned up later than I did, plus I was mopping the floor!
Yesterday was quite a tense day. I wore my earphones to work just to protect my ears from the loudness of music, but the acting supervisor thought I was listening to the portable cassette player. How could I possibly listen to other sound sources when the provided sound source is already deafening? I wore the earphone back when she wasn’t around and somebody told her about it and she called me on the phone specially to warn me to take them off my ears or run the risk of being fired. She didn't want to accept my explanation and even accused me of not doing my work properly. Is this job going to last for a week only? Am I going to get paid?

Customer- I am looking for Maksim’s album.
Me- Would you like a CD or a cassette sir?
Customer- A CD please.
Me- If you buy the CD, we have a bonus AVCD for you.
(He bought the CD plus another CD).


Promoting is not all that tough after all.