A weekend with...

What a fascinating weekend I had listening to songs new to me! Why was it so fascinating? The songs are not very new literally and some performed by artists that are very unlikely for me to listen to.
It has been an awfully long time since I last look for new CDs. I only hear songs I’m already familiar with when I turn on the radio, so I guess listening to my collections is better than torturing myself listening to old songs that I don’t prefer or waiting for a long interval for the radio station to play new stuff which I am not sure whether I’d like.
I used to listen to songs very carefully and patiently, meaning that once I heard a song hit the air wave, I’d listen from the very beginning until the last beat dropped. Then I begin to judge songs by their opening arrangement, which I later discovered doesn’t sound very interesting till the end, but still it is quite a reliable formula. I’ve been adopting the method for a few years, especially when I listen to songs in other languages than English (I think English songs are quite indistinguishable nowadays). But last weekend was quite refreshing. Not English songs!
I saw a few CDs on my friend’s desk and I asked for her permission to borrow those CDs. I hurried home and already had a plan in my head to copy the songs in the CDs. I thought I’d buy some CD-R but I couldn’t bring them to my badminton practice. I started listening to the CDs as soon as I came back from practice that night. I found out that not many songs have interesting opening. May be I was tired, may be I wasn’t clear-headed to really appreciate them. Then I thought I have a weekend to listen to and choose the songs. Why should I rush it? I don’t even recognize almost 80% of the songs.
And I’m happy I took the challenge. If you haven’t tried listening to Do As Infinity (DAI), L’Arc-en-Ciel, and Kinki Kids, now I could recommend you to take a listen to their albums. DAI’s songs grabbed most of my attention. I only dislike 2-3 songs out of 15. L’Arc-en-Ciel sings many English songs in the CDs, but I couldn’t understand what is sung. Though I’m pleased with the melody, it’s annoying to not able to recognize what the singer sings, so I stick to its Japanese lyrics. Check out 4th Avenue Café, the ending theme in one of Ruro-ni Kenshin anime.



I came to know Kinki Kids when I watched Kindaichi Sho-nen no Jikenbo (The Files of Young Kindaichi), for Kindaichi in the serial was played by Domo-to Tsuyoshi, one of Kinki Kids’ members. I recognize their presence ever since. But their MVs that I’ve seen so far are not of the kind of music I’d prefer. I discovered songs more to my preference in the CDs I borrowed. Not many though, but it was very unlikely for me to like at least one song of theirs.
Other artists’ songs in the CDs include those of Hirosue Ryoko, Utada Hikaru, and GLAY. The latter 2 are of course my favourite artist unquestionably. As for Hirosue, I only like 2 songs and I don’t recommend her album for further listening. She squeaks!